Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering...


I remember.


I honestly can't believe it has been ten years since the 9/11 tragedy.
I remember on that September morning I was getting ready for school where I had just started my junior year. As I was getting ready to leave for school, my dad was watching the Today Show. I came out into the family room and saw the horrific image on the television set. I asked my dad what happened and he said they weren't sure but it had to be terrorists. That was a word that I didn't really know much about, or maybe never thought of...but I was about to understand what a terrorist was. I remember my dad was disgusted with Katie Couric when she thought it was a small aircraft, such as a Cessna that had crashed into one of the towers. Being an airplane man, he knew better. I remember him saying, "That was not a Cessna, Katie. There is too much damage for a small plane. That was a big bird that did that damage." {talking to her as if he could hear her} After watching the images for a moment longer I continued getting ready for school. I was down the hall of my house and I heard my dad yelling, "Holy crap! Another one just hit! That was a 767! Get out here!" My mom and I came running and couldn't believe our eyes. Katie Couric piped in, "Tower two has just been hit. I think we have a major air traffic control problem here." {i had to laugh at that comment. seriously katie?}
As soon as I got to school I was still eager to know what was happening. I was taking an Anatomy and Physiology class at the DATC and my teacher had pulled in a t.v. for us to watch. We watched as they got word that the Pentagon had been hit and immediately thought of my cousin Nicole who was working back in D.C. I watched as the first tower fell, I was totally in shock as to what was happening. As the school day went on, the topic was on everybody's minds. Many rumors went around the school that we were at war. It was a very scary day. When I got home I turned on the t.v. and watched the images over and over in shock and horror.
I remember the next day at school sitting on the tennis court waiting for my round and looking at the sky, there was no airplanes. It was a very eerie feeling. A thought that kept plaguing my mind was, "When is this going to end? When will things be back to normal again?" The fact was is that there would soon have to be a new kind of normal. Things would never be the same. The way we lived will now be different. Going on an airplane would now become quite the ordeal {it is for safety purposes,and for that i am grateful. but still. quite the ordeal} People now were suspicious and lived in fear. The poor families that lost loved ones would never live normally again, their loved ones were now gone. I felt for them, even at the young age of 17 I put myself in their shoes. What if I had lost my mother, father, or brother? And now that I am a wife and a mother I can't help but think, what if I would have lost my husband or my child? My heart still breaks for those who lost.
I am grateful for the heroes of that day. For those who fearlessly ran into the buildings, buildings that were on fire. For those that gave their own lives on an airplane so that another tragedy would not ensue.

I will never forget.

No comments: