Bryan and I have always been a little intrigued with Texas. It has so many big cities, little cities, and beautiful scenery!! We feel very lucky to live here! It seems as though we can drive five minutes from our house in either direction and explore something beautiful. I always have to get out of the house on Sundays....I am not a person that can sit and veg for an entire day!! So, every Sunday we take a ride so we don't go stir crazy. Today we drove up to Grapevine, which is really just the city next to ours. Grapevine has a lake, conveniently called Lake Grapevine. It was so beautiful. I really had no idea how beautiful the Dallas area is. It is gorgeous! So, we have decided to tour the many cities of Texas. Some may be far....some may be close. We want to document our journeys not only for our family and friends who wonder about us occasionally :) but for ourselves as well. 
On Saturday, which happened to be conference, we decided to take a drive. We didn't really have the time to go too far so we decided to explore Waco. It is about two hours south of our house and it gave a good opportunity for a great nap for our boys. It was a beautiful drive full of rolling fields and tractors.
Waco itself was in Bryan's words "garbagewipe". It was super rundown and very old. There was no one on the streets. It was the big rivalry football weekend between University of Texas (Go Longhorns!) and Oklahoma University. The Sooners won this year. So we figured everybody was at home watching the game. Waco is also home to Baylor University. We didn't realize that there was a game going on while we were there. That also could have been the reason for the deserted streets. We didn't take any pictures of the city because to be honest, we were nervous to get out of the car. There were bars on every window.
Waco itself was in Bryan's words "garbagewipe". It was super rundown and very old. There was no one on the streets. It was the big rivalry football weekend between University of Texas (Go Longhorns!) and Oklahoma University. The Sooners won this year. So we figured everybody was at home watching the game. Waco is also home to Baylor University. We didn't realize that there was a game going on while we were there. That also could have been the reason for the deserted streets. We didn't take any pictures of the city because to be honest, we were nervous to get out of the car. There were bars on every window.

We did find a little restaurant to have a late lunch at. The restaurant was Buzzard Billy's. It was located on the Brazos River that flows through Waco. We decided to eat out on the deck. The weather, for Texas was quite nice. It was about 80 degrees. Kael just liked being out of the car. He is not big on being in the car. He is not really into being in high chairs either, but it was better than being in the car I suppose.
Bryan an d Kael out on the patio. We realized that this was the after-game hot spot for Baylor University.
They then figured out that the turtles that were in the river down below liked the bread crumbs.
When he ran out of bread crumbs, he used his french fries to feed the turtles. I guess they didn't mind the ones that were doused in ketchup.
These are the turtles that he was feeding down below. I think that the french fries with ketchup attracted the catfish as well! Peyton had a ball!
Me with my boys. That is a little glimpse of Waco behind me. It is much bigger than what you see though.
If you just saw this part of Waco, you would think that it was a beautiful place. However, the downtown part of Waco was a little rundown. I am sure they have nice beautiful parts of Waco though.
He is actually smiling for a picture, I can't believe it. This restaurant actually had real alligator heads for sale. We almost bought one for Peyton but we didn't want it to give him nightmares. Although it did inspire him for one of his imaginary friends. He now has an imaginary crocodile friend named Kyle Busch.
We then stopped in Corsicana, Texas. It is just outside of Waco. We wanted to try out the famous Colin Street Bakery. It was delicious! Bryan had to try out there white chocolate macadamia nut cookie. The cookie was almost the size of Kael's head...I guess everything really is bigger in Texas. I had their chocolate chip cookie...it had pecans in it...yum! 
Peyton had a chocolate frosting cookie. He loved it. He also thought that it would taste better with salt and pepper and Tobasco Sauce, we thought differently. We eventually talked him out of putting such condiments on his cookie! This place was really good! I loved it...notice the rolling pin light sconces in the back...so clever!
Overall it was a great Saturday drive with yummy food! I would never consider Waco as a vacation hotspot, but it was alright to spend a day in!
Stay tuned for more of our Tour of Texas!!



1 comment:
Hey Jodie! It was great to here from you. I'm a little jealous that you live in Texas. My sister lives in Houston and loves it. I love the feel of Texas! Such down to earth and inviting people there. Hope you and family are well!
Post a Comment